Thursday, November 18, 2010

Come on, Get the Frump Out of Your Rump

“Stop being a frump.”
No one who is internally trying to be a better person wants to be called a frump. Especially not by the person they are in love with and imagine building a life with.
“You’re such a frump.”
Ouch. 
Ok, so at first I thought it was a joke. Then, it was said again, and again, and again. 
When I met my boyfriend of five and a half years* I weighed about 114 lbs. By the time he started to call me a frump I was approaching 130. It’s not a significant amount of weight, but with my height just below 5’2”, it was definitely noticeable.
Do you know what happens when you realize you can’t fit into your skinny jeans anymore? Or, you can’t zip up your hot black dress you bought for the “just because” reason. It stinks. It hurts. I mean, it really hurts because the zipper kind of pinches your skin as you try to force the dress to close on your back. 
Gaining weight made me unhappy with myself. I felt unattractive. If I felt unattractive, I became unattractive. Gretchen Rubin teaches us to “Act the Way I Want To Feel.” Inspired partly by her, we can do this together, and eventually feel and be the way we want. My friend and former colleague, Elyse Miller, gave me some of the tools I needed to take back myself. 
Together, this journey that I’m taking you on is about getting rid of the frump, whether it’s extra weight that makes you feel unattractive, weight you need to gain because you feel too skinny, or an attitude within you that you don’t know how to get out of.

Come on, Get the Frump Out of Your Rump. 



UPDATED DECEMBER 23, 2010
*Noted Boyfriend is now ex-boyfriend

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I loved the "it really hurts" line about the zipper :) haha. That's great! You're a great writer! I'm glad you got this up and running. Thank you so much for mentioning me :) You've also helped me in many ways! You're a great friend! Keep up with this, I enjoyed reading it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to following you blog Annie. You always have something interesting to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol glad hes the exbf man what a douche

    ReplyDelete

Let Me Know What You Think...

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.