Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Stop Wearing "Cover Clothes"


“I like comfy clothes.”
Ok, so what. I do. 
At 22 I dated a boyfriend who didn’t want me to get into my “comfy clothes.” In fact, he requested that I not be in sweats when he came over at 9:00 p.m. 
Point taken.
Perhaps I can get some sympathy for the fact that I was working an often 3:00 a.m. shift and coming over at 9:00 p.m. was like waking me up. 
When I met my current boyfriend I asked him to never tell me not to wear my comfy clothes. (Maybe that’s why he called me a frump.) It’s about time I give boyfriend a name. His name is Nathan. 
Here’s the thing, being comfortable is not about the design of your clothes. It is not about whether or not they are flannel pajamas (like I happen to be wearing right now) or a work out suit. It’s about whether or not you, and in this case I, feel comfortable with what I’m wearing at all.
“Comfy clothes” as I called them, and still do, and as he (my main man) would sometimes mock me, could in fact be called cover clothes. They cover up everything about yourself that you don’t like, whether it’s the love handles, the pudgy stomach, the skinny legs, the fat ankles, or whatever it is. 
One of the reasons for the frumpy state is that I didn’t like what I felt like and if I didn’t like it, no one else would like it either. That’s even if I knew my boyfriend liked my “sexy legs” as he still calls them. 
Once you realize that the man (or woman, or person) in your life loves you for you and likes things about yourself that you may not like, you get out of your comfy clothes. What do you do?
I have some suggestions, depending on what your frumpiness is:
Go to the gym. 
Eat a well-balanced diet.
Find a friend, and see if you can help each other through your frumpiness. 
Choose health, and choose not to care about the rest. 
So, get out of your cover clothes. Allow yourself to be comfortable. Show some leg. 
Guess what? I like wearing skirts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let Me Know What You Think...

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.