Saturday, March 5, 2011

We Need Not Take Everything So Seriously (Part 1)

Maybe, if I just keep chasing them around in circles they’ll want to be my friend.
At least, that’s what I thought. 
I was in the third grade and I was new to my hometown and my school. I didn’t know anyone. Friends didn’t come by me easily because I didn’t talk to anyone. I was too shy and too afraid of what they would think if I did speak. 
When I moved to Southern California it was between my second and third grade year. I honestly didn’t believe that my friends, or the people I believed were my friends, didn’t live near me anymore. 
“Mommy, when are they going to take their masks off?” I asked my Mom about a year after the move. I was referring to my new friends who weren’t anything like the friends I had left behind, but I was certain they’d show their faces soon. Oh, the amazing imagination of a child! 
Then, I started to meet people. Popular people. Pretty people. Mostly, they reminded me of my old friends.
This is probably when the me that I am now first started to emerge. I remember going to some Scholastic book sale in the library and a girl didn’t have any money. I did. So, I let her go around the store and buy whatever she wanted. At the end of the little book outing, I spent $80.00 of my allowance money. I never got it paid back. 
That was my first lesson in realizing that your friends can’t be bought. I didn’t feel the joy in giving then. I felt let down. 
That same year, I remember trying to be friends with a girl that I thought was a lot like me. She was studious, and quiet, and seemed reserved, but friendly. I couldn’t figure her out, though. 
I called a family friend on the phone, who used to be my babysitter. She would call me, “Little Annie Petersen.” And, still calls me that to this day (makes being a 30-something feel like being a 3-year-old-something sometimes, but a fantastic thing none-the-less). 
“Listen, Annie,” she said. “You need not take everything so seriously.” 

To be continued... 

1 comment:

  1. annie, this really spoke to me. i'm a recovering friendaholic and it's been a hard pill to swallow that friends can't be bought or bribed or anything else. they just have to like me for me.

    ReplyDelete

Let Me Know What You Think...

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.