Sunday, July 24, 2011

Staring Out Into Possibility

Written En Route San Diego to Las Vegas
Now that a year in my life has come and gone, even while in the midst of the current year, I find myself staring out into a valley of possibility. 
I could use the imagery of mountains to climb or hills to scale, but the entire concept of pushing something up a hill never to arrive is not one that I wish to pursue.
The Myth of Sisyphus is one of never attaining the goal, but always be engaged in the climb.
I, for one, am not certain that the climb itself is all that it’s cracked up to be. The journey, however, that’s an entirely different story. 
When people enter a dark moment of their life I never hear them talk about “the climb.” Instead, they’ll refer to it as “darkness” or “a rut” or a “battle.” Never, that I can recall, does anyone mention some pursuit upwards.
That is not to say that there is no pursuit in going up, it’s just that I’m not certain anyone cognitively feels that they are “moving” into a higher capacity while carrying weight in the process.
Leading up to this new series of 365 days, or 525,600 minutes, my vision is not one of standing in the same place, moving, but going nowhere. Instead, it’s almost a series of ballet movements across grains of sand and onto something.
Then, though, that begs the question: Is moving upwards as or more difficult than the grain of sand on previously uncalloused feet? I suppose that answer would be best told by the person engaged in the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let Me Know What You Think...

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.