Sunday, November 13, 2011

Putting the Puzzle Pieces of Life Together


In five days it will be one year since I started this blog process. It started out as one kind of journey, and as life changed, it has become another. 
Writing often helps one put the
puzzle pieces of life together.
The other night, while on an airplane traveling to a getaway I wrote a poem. Writing, for me, has always been an idiosyncratic process. It just happens. When I write what reads like a poem or song lyrics to me the words flow in one stream of consciousness. Once, I wrote a two page poem, front and back, while in between classes in college. I had about seven minutes to do it.
Sometimes, with writing, the words just come because the story is already in the author. 
At the top of the page on yellow legal pad paper I wrote, “Written just shy of 11 months from the day since my life changed (not that anyone is counting).” I wanted to put some finality on the shock that comes when a relationship ends; or rather, when my relationship ended
If you remember, I started this blog because my boyfriend at the time would call me things that hurt my feelings. The ending of the relationship though, when that happened, it hurt more. Then, there were a lot of other feelings that came out over the course of time. Removed, I finally had a way to address what it felt like in that instant that everything changed. 
Who knows, maybe this will help you or someone you know deal with the pain, heartache, grief, or whatever it is. 
I don't know what you just said.
I'm sorry, I missed it.
Tell me one more time that everything
is not alright.
Cuz I can't think.
I'm lost inside.
I can't find - 
Where am I supposed to go?
You said goodbye, I know
That part I got right.
I'm sorry, but I don't know why?
Tell me one more time that everything
is not alright.
Cuz I can't hear you.
I'm not listening.
I can't find - 
Where am I supposed to go?
You're gone, You're gone.
I'm all alone, all alone.
Just get up and say goodbye. 
It's not for me to leave.
I'm sorry, you've got to go.
I don't know what you just said.
I'm sorry, I missed it.
But that don't matter now -
You're gone, alright, and out of my life.
and now I'm free
Thank God you had to leave.
I am free.
Now that I'm who I'm supposed to be.
And I am fine.
Everything is alright. 
How do you deal with loss? With heartache? What’s your method of dealing with what you know to be good (like the ending of a relationship that should have ended) and also with the sadness that it ended anyway? Do you allow yourself to realize that it’s alright and natural to feel both relief and sadness at the same time? Let me know what you think. If you want... 



Photo Courtesy:  http://uwbwritingcenter.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/confession-i-write-poetry/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let Me Know What You Think...

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.